Bali - Uluwatu

by - 3:44 PM

The next stop on our 2nd day in Bali was Uluwatu which is situated at the southern Bali. Officially known as Pura Luhur Uluwatu, this is actually a temple.  Ulu in Balinese mean heart, Watu mean stone. This temple was built in 11th century by a Javanese priest named Empu Kuturan also known as Empu Raja Kerta.

We went there to see the famous Kecak Dance which will be held 6.00pm everyday.  The men's chorus chants the words Cak ke-cak ke-cak ke-cak ke-cak in rhythm over and over again. This is the reason why this dance is called Kecak Dance.

We had to tie that yellow string around our waist & a purple sarong is given if your bottom length is above your knee.
Spectacular view of Uluwatu from the cliff

Far behind are where the Kecak Dance were held.
I managed to capture the sunset in Uluwatu

Kecak Dance


With one of the dancer. She played as King Rahwana

Ok thats the end of my 2nd day. I had a long tiring but awesome day. I received several email from you guys requesting for the details of my trip. I don't really have an itinerary for Bali actually but will try my best to provide any tips. This trip was back on 2007 so I barely remember the exact details.

A taxi from Kuta to Uluwatu takes around 30 minutes up and down the winding road and will cost approx. Rp50,000 per way. Remember to ask the driver to wait for you for the trip back as it can be very difficult to find transport out from Uluwatu. Extra charges will be impose for the waiting time. 

It is best if you can engage a tour guide for the whole trip and I think it will be the cheapest way of getting around Bali as the public transports there are not so convenient.

Uluwatu admission fee - RP4000.00
Kecak Dance fee - Rp50,000.00

You May Also Like

4 comments